OTTAWA, Feb. 27, 2013 /CNW/ - Counting the days until you take off on your March break vacation? Here are a few tips from the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) to help you prepare so you can get through security screening as quickly and effortlessly as possible.
Before arriving to the airport know what's allowed in your carry-on bag and follow these packing tips:
At the checkpoint
- Make sure liquid, gels and aerosol such as creams, shampoo and toothpaste are in containers of 100 ml or less and all in a one-litre resealable plastic bag.
- For children younger than two you can bring milk, juice and baby food in containers larger than 100ml. Make sure they are easily accessible to show the screening officer.
- Liquid or gel medication can also be packed in larger containers.
- Chose an outfit for travel that does not have metal pieces on the clothes or shoes. Those pieces of metal can set off the metal detector.
To get through airport security like a pro, CATSA offers tips on the screening process:
- Have your boarding pass ready to present to the screening officer.
- To avoid setting off an alarm, place keys and spare change from your pockets in a bin with your coat or carry-on bag.
- Cell phones, tablets and other electronics stay in your carry-on. Laptops need to be put in a bin.
- Families or passengers with special needs requiring extra time at screening can take advantage of the family/special needs line.
If you are asked to undergo additional screening, you have the choice between the full-body scanner and a physical search.
Follow @CATSA_gc on Twitter
CATSA is a Crown corporation responsible for:
- Pre-board screening - the screening of passengers, their carry-on baggage and their personal belongings;
- Hold-baggage screening - the screening of checked baggage;
- Non-passenger screening - the screening of non-passengers on a random basis; and
- Restricted Area Identity Card - the administration of access control to airport restricted areas through biometric identifiers.
Video with caption: "Video: Packing Tips". Video available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-u621aRL8A
Video with caption: "Video: Security screening tips". Video available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdBm3xc8UI0
SOURCE: Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA)
For further information: