YYC's Airport Expansion Program is Well Underway
Calgary International Airport (YYC) is Alberta’s aviation hub of choice - welcoming 15.26 million passengers in 2014. Over the past 20 years, it has more than doubled in size and passenger volume. In order to meet the needs of this growth, The Calgary Airport Authority has undertaken an over $2 billion expansion program - the largest and most ambitious expansion in its history.
The Airport Development Program includes two major projects:
- Runway Development Project (RDP)
At 14,000 ft. long and 200 ft. wide, YYC's newest runway is the longest in Canada and incorporates many leading-edge technologies. The runway has been fully operational since June 28, 2014. Learn more.
- New International Terminal
The new International Terminal will more than double the size of the existing airport. Currently under construction, the terminal is on track to be completed in 2015 with a Fall 2016 opening.
MORE ABOUT THE NEW INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL:
- The new International Terminal will add approximately two million square feet to YYC - equivalent to 34 NFL football fields.
- There will be 22 new aircraft gates for International and U.S. destinations.
- Includes new Canada and U.S. customs facilities and a 300-room hotel.
- There will be new ways to connect passengers through YYC including a Connections Corridor and Compact Transit System.
- The International Terminal is a green building:
- There is 660 km of in-floor radiant heating tubing.
- It includes co-generation power that will generate electricity and heat, saving 4,900 of CO2 each year.
- It will harvest 500,000 litres of rainwater for low-flow plumbing fixtures.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE EXPANSION PROGRAM:
- YYC’s new Connections Corridor and Compact Transit System. Click here.
- YYC’s fourth runway, which is the longest runway in Canada. Click here.
Below are images of the new International Terminal: