(Calgary, AB) – With achievement of another new milestone in cargo volumes in 2015, Calgary International Airport (YYC) continues to be the leading air cargo gateway in the province of Alberta.
In 2015, YYC saw a 4.65 per cent increase in cargo tonnage over 2014 figures, bringing the total amount of cargo transported through YYC in 2015 to 134,695 tonnes. This represents more than three-quarters of all air cargo moved in the province of Alberta.
YYC offers significant access to markets for shippers by providing comprehensive air cargo service including scheduled 747-800 freighter service to both Asia and Europe. It continues to be a leader in offering strategic airside access and on-airport multimodal facilities to support Alberta industries.
“This success is the result of our unwavering focus on delivering against our long-term cargo and logistics plans, which has resulted in the creation of an integrated logistics platform here at YYC that is a key component of the thriving logistics and distribution sector in Calgary,” said Stephan Poirier, Senior Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer for The Calgary Airport Authority.
YYC Cargo – Facts and Figures
Calgary International Airport offers nation-leading warehouse, logistics, and distribution services and capacity though its on-airport Global Logistics Park:
- 134,695 tonnes of cargo handled in 2015 – an increase of 4.65 per cent above 2014 figures
- Scheduled dedicated international cargo flights to both Europe and Asia
- Alberta courier gateway for DHL, FedEx, Purolator and UPS
- Excellent connectivity and proximity to north-south and east-west roadway and railway infrastructure to support inter-modal cargo
- More than three million square feet of warehouse space on airport land
- A new 30,000 sq. ft. specialized cargo facility opened in 2015
- A 520,000 sq. ft. cargo apron expansion opened in 2015
- All cargo aprons are equipped with in-ground fueling points
- Dedicated cargo de-icing pad
ABOUT THE CALGARY AIRPORT AUTHORITY
The Calgary Airport Authority is a not-for-profit organization incorporated under the Regional Airports Authorities Act of Alberta. The Calgary Airport Authority is responsible for the management, operation and development of Calgary International (YYC) and Springbank (YBW) Airports. YYC is an important economic engine for the city, region and province, supporting 48,000 jobs and generating more than $8 billion per annum in economic activity.
For more information, or to arrange an interview, please contact:
The Calgary Airport Authority Media Line