Labour Day Long Weekend Travel Reminder From the Canada Border Services Agency

August 31, 2011   |  

August 31, 2011

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Aug. 31, 2011) - This Labour Day long weekend, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) reminds travellers of document requirements to cross the border. The Agency wants to educate travellers about these requirements to make their travel experience a more enjoyable one.

The CBSA reminds travellers:

- Canadian entry requirements have not changed as a result of the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

- Canadians returning home (including children) are encouraged to carry proper identification to assist in confirming their legal right to enter Canada. A passport is not mandatory for entry into Canada, but it is a preferable piece of identification. Other acceptable identification includes an enhanced driver's license, a birth certificate with accompanying photo ID such as a regular driver's license, a permanent residence card, a citizenship card, a certificate of Indian Status or a NEXUS card or Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card when travelling by land or boat.

- U.S. citizens do not need to carry a passport to enter Canada; however, they should carry proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate) as well as photo identification.

Travelling by air?

- Prior to arriving in Canada by air, all travellers are provided with a Declaration form (Form E311). Be sure to fill it out accurately and keep it in an accessible place until a border services officer asks you for it as you exit the secure area of the airport.

Travelling by boat?

- The CBSA has modernized its reporting requirements for pleasure crafts entering Canadian waters, in an effort to make it easier for private boaters to comply with reporting requirements. For information on cell phone reporting for private boaters, visit the CBSA Web site.

- NEXUS members can provide advance notice to the CBSA at least 30 minutes (minimum) and up to four hours (maximum) prior to arriving in Canada by calling the NEXUS telephone reporting centre (TRC) at 1-866-99-NEXUS (1-866-996-3987).

Other useful information:

- Visitors to Canada should be aware of the requirements to import a firearm into Canada. Many weapons are considered prohibited and are therefore not allowed into Canada. All travellers must declare any firearms and weapons in their possession when they are seeking entry to Canada. Anyone who does not declare them upon arrival can face prosecution, and the firearms and the vehicle used to carry them may be seized.

- Visit the CBSA Web site for more information, including entry requirements into Canada for non-Canadians, and to download a copy of I Declare, a detailed publication describing what to expect when bringing goods into Canada.

Canadians returning home and visitors to Canada are reminded that they can plan their border crossing to avoid peak times, and that they should check Canada-bound border wait times on the CBSA Web site and on Twitter.

For more information, visit


Media line
613-957-6500 or 1-877-761-5945


Pacific Region:
Faith St. John


Prairie Region:
Lisa White


Northern Ontario Region:
Chris Kealey


Greater Toronto Area Region:
Vanessa Barrasa


Southern Ontario Region:
Jean D'Amelio Swyer
905-354-2011 or 519-967-4330


Quebec Region:
Media Line


Atlantic Region:
Joel MacDougall